Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Encouragers


The Freshmen are reading the Okay For Now.  The main character, Doug, lives in a world where only his mother cares for him.  He doesn’t have many encouragers in his life.  So today the freshmen had to write about that topic.  Being the good teacher, I decided to write about that too.  I have had many people encourage me in my life and still have people who encourage me today.  I’m not the type of person who would have dived into things without that push or person saying hey, you might be good at that.  Singing is one of those things.  As a student in grade school my great encourager was Mrs. Sterk, our music teacher.  She has such a wonderful energy and creativity.   We did fun things and difficult songs ( I could still sing a few for you).  She picked me to sing in small groups and solo work.  This was a first in my life.  I did not excel as an athlete and did not find school easy, but this singing thing was something I could do. During my 8th grade year another teacher came in and shoved me in a corner.  The fun, energy and special feeling was gone. I drifted through 8th grade with hopes for high school.  My freshmen year I made the Junior Choir and actually had a solo in a concert.  My sophomore year I took voice lessons and had a lead role in the musical.  But that was the end.  The choir director took me aside one day to tell  me that I had a nice voice, but I would never make Chamber Singers because I wouldn’t look nice in the dress.  I was too heavy.  Thankful for a sense of humor, I walked away not devastated but at least knowing my voice was good enough.  I never made a small group he’d spend time with for solo/ensemble.  I was put in large groups where he met with us once or twice.  It was evident he didn’t care.   So when I entered college, I wasn’t trying out.  If I wasn’t good enough for high school groups, how did I have a chance in college?  But two things happened.  My sister was married and I sang at her wedding.  The minister told me I had a nice voice, and at Dordt a friend encouraged me to try.  So I did.  That push changed my world, blessed not only my college years, but also my life.  Some of my best spiritual moments have come from singing and music.  So today, when I sing at a church or a ball game, I can’t help be thankful for those people God placed in my life to nudge me to try again.  I am thankful for the encouragers in my life.  So, who have you encouraged today?

No comments:

Post a Comment