Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas

Christmas.  It's a powerful word. This time of the year can do some crazy things.  It's the thing that drives people to get up at 2:00 am to shop for that bargain gift. (not me-I like sleep:) It makes men shop at Victoria Secrets and causes women to get stuck in some male departments in the midst of things I won't print.  This time of year can also be painful.  The media sells the holiday as a time for family and friends to gather and exchange gifts and celebrate.  For people without family or friends to gather around, Christmas can be a tough time.  Additionally, Christmas often becomes nostalgic. We remember a Christmas past when that loved one was with us.  Now that person is no longer here and our life is different, a little emptier.  We find ourselves so wrapped up in the stuff of Christmas and the expectations that we forget the real meaning.  So this Christmas instead of focussing on the things or people that are not in my life, I am going to focus on joy.  God gave his son, wrapped as the gift of salvation, for me.  Because of that gift I have been given new life, forgiveness and a father who loves me unconditionally and never, ever leaves my side. God has blessed my family with health and 4 new members this past year. What a joy!  I have a job I can go to every day where I find joy in my classroom with my students and outside of the room with my fellow teachers.  What a blessing!  I have old friends and new friends that I love dearly. What a gift!  One of my favorite quotes reminds me of those daily wonderful gifts that God plops in my lap. "Listen to your life.  See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace." May your Christmas be filled with wonderful grace-filled moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment