Friday, February 1, 2013

Lessons I have Learned

Since my College Composition students are writing on this topic, being a wonderful example, I will too. In grade school, I learned some big lessons.   I learned not to fall into a big muddy pool of water with a dress on in 4th grade.  In 7th grade, I learned that if one messes with a bathroom stall door, just tell someone about it.  My friend Viv and I instead put it back on the hinges.  Obviously, not good enough, for it fell on the foot of a younger student and broke her foot.  Some of the biggest lessons learned in grade school were about friendship and finding your gifts.  I don't think I was ever satisfied with what gifts I had in grade school.  I would do well with singing one year only to have that dashed in the next year.  In my family, I learned much about death.  I didn't always understand the full impact of those experiences, but the deaths of Ellen, Grandparents, Amanda, Craig, my Dad and Jessica changed us.  As a family those deaths brought us closer together initially, but as time goes on, I feel we slip further apart.  Personally, those lessons of death have made me more aware of others needs and have given me understanding.  As I look back in life, I have sometimes had to learn the hard way.  I have learned things through failure and experiences.  Some of these things have been small and funny, like running out of gas on the Unity "U" and receiving a 3 point sermon on why it is bad from my good samaritan friend, while other lessons have been painful and difficult.  Lessons in life change us, stretch us and help us to be formed into the person God intends us to be.  I'm still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment